So today must be what it is going to be like in 3 years when Eric leaves for college. Today, Eric went to his best buds home for a birthday party and is staying over night. That leaves the parents home without any children. During the first part of the day, we hardly noticed he was gone since we were busy out in the yard winterizing it and raking (ugh...for the next 3 or 4 weeks we will be slaves to the leaves).
Anyway, after we were done, we sauntered inside to collapse in our chairs in front of the boob tube. With remotes in hand, we started to surf through the channels. Some 30 minutes later, we realized how quiet it was. At first, it was somewhat refreshing...but then as time dragged on, it seemed somewhat awkward. As dinner time rolled around, I found myself trying to talk myself out of cooking "just for two". It wasn't really worth it...was it? I wasn't hungry anyway...so I just kinda let the clock run out.
The two cats were busy being their lazy selves. Today was no different for them except that their people were home instead of at work. But they didn't let this put a cramp in their style...they slept the entire day anway.
Since this lonely feeling was somewhat new to me, I decided to blog. I ask myself...so when Eric leaves for good, will this awkward feeling occupy my days? How will I get through? Or will it eventually go away and I'll get back to focusing on ourselves as a couple instead of ourselves as parents...parents who never have time for themselves and are always doing something for others. This is an interesting dilemma. One I haven't contemplated since before 1987 and the birth of Ian. The thoughts and motivations of 22 years ago seem so long ago...and now seem so selfish. Yet at the time, they didn't seem that way. Hmmm....I'll have to think about this some more. But I won't have to think about it for awhile...Eric doesn't leave for 3 more years...so no worries.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Empty Nesters
Rambling from Jennifer at 4:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment